emkaPACK4G for large animals
emkaPACK4G is a non-invasive telemetry system, widely used in large animals studies to monitor the physiology of freely moving large animals, such as dogs, primates, sheep or minipigs,
An external transmitter is worn into a jacket and provides simultaneously:
- Lung volume
- Posture and activity
- Blood pressure
Each signal type is available as an optional add-on, so you buy only what you need and can upgrade at any time.
Impossible data cross-talk
With emkaPACK4G telemetry system, physiological measurements are captured non-invasively and wirelessly transmitted by Bluetooth, to a receiver. Bluetooth data transmission prevents any data cross-talk, allowing each subject to freely to move, single or group-housed in its room, during the acquisition (max. 32 to 48 subjects per room).
The whole system is compact, with:
- One external transmitter, worn by each subject into a jacket.
- One or several telemetry receivers, positioned in the animals’ room, within 10 meters distance from their associated transmitters. A single receiver can communicate with up to 16 transmitters, and is powered and transmits data through a single Ethernet cable.
Up to 17 signals can be recorded simultaneously from each animal, through various sensors plugged to the transmitter:
- External electrodes record up to 9-lead ECG
- 1 or 2 belts record lung volume for Respiration measurement by Inductive Plethysmography (RIP)
- Non-invasive blood pressure (NIBP) is recorded by oscillometry, with an inflatable cuff placed on limb or tail
- Core blood pressure is acquired from easyTEL+ implant or from a vascular access port (VAP)
- A skin electrode or an implanted probe measures temperature
- An accelerometer calculates posture and activity (3 axis + total acceleration)
Why choose telemetry technology?
Wireless technology has made possible the ability to reliably transfer high volumes of data from a freely moving animal. Advantages associated with these techniques are obvious and well known: longer and better quality data obtained from less stressed subjects.
With emkaPACK4G system, we offer 48 to 72 hours of continuous transmission on same batteries.
Data acquisition & analysis
emkaPACK4G takes full advantage of emka TECHNOLOGIES software suite with:
Cardiac function, myopathy, and more !
Assessment of non-invasive telemetric blood pressure and electrocardiogram measurement in conscious dogs
Poster presented by GlaxoSmithKline, Society of Toxicology meeting, 2011
Development of a methodology to measure the effect of ergot alkaloids on forestomach motility using real-time wireless telemetry
Egert et al, Frontiers in chemistry, 2014
Evaluation of oscillometric and vascular access port arterial blood pressure measurement techniques versus implanted telemetry in anesthetized cats
Raphael J. Zwijnenberg et al. AJVR Vol 72, No. 8, August 2011
Inclusion of Blood Pressure Measurements in Canine Toxicology Studies
Emily Bailey et al, Poster presented by AstraZeneca, 2011
Non-invasive blood pressure monitoring in ambulatory beagle dogs
Poster presented by CIT at the Safety Pharmacology Society meeting, 2009
Involvement of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors in cardiac and vascular remodeling in a novel minipig model of insulin resistance and atherosclerosis induced by consumption of a high-fat/cholesterol diet
Pan Yongming et al, Cardiovascular Diabetology 2015